By Emma: Hi Everyone,
I just thought I’d let you know about two catholic summer camps that are running in January 2012 in Anglesea. There is a girls camp (challenge) and a boys camp (conquest), and the age for both of these is 10-14. Below is some detailed information about both of the camps and I have also attatched the flyers for them. If you know of anyone who may be interested, please forward this to them.
The Themes of the Camps will be different. The Conquest Boys Camp will be focused on ‘Leadership Forged Through Virtue and Friendship with Christ’ and it will be run by Fr. Juan Guerra. The Girls Camp will be will be focused on Friendship; ‘R U N 2 REAL FRIENDS’. I will be running the Girls camp. Fr. Juan has had years of experience in camps and missions and is a very humble man, forge in virtue himself, and is an incredible athlete. He will give the kids a real run for their money when it comes to sport. The camps are on different camp sites but the boys and the girls get together for Mass each day.
Challenge and Conquest are part of a bigger group of kids spread throughout the world called ECYD. Experience, Convictions, YourDecisions! They EXPERIENCE God’s love for them and others through Camps, Retreats, Missions etc which builds on their CONVICTIONS which in later in life they are able to form their own DECISIONS – to live a life of Grace!
All our leaders will have had Working With Children Checks within Australia and some of us have both; the Woking with Children Checks as well as a Police Check like myself J! All clear! J J
Each day the kids will join in with the following:
1. ‘Saint of the day’ to guide them and a Virtue that corresponds with the Saint of the day. For example: St. Theresa of the Andes: Charity, St. Mary of the Cross: Acceptance. The boys will have different saints and virtues according to their needs; for example – St. Giorgio Frassatti: Charity, St. Jose Luis Sanchez: Courage.
2. Outdoor activities: including to learn how to surf by the professional ‘Go Ride a Wave’ Crew from Anglesea. There will also be beach sports and hikes. Times for swimming in designated areas and when there is a life guard and lots of games.
3. Apostolic Activity: I have arranged for some girls in the US to make a fun DVD about their ECYD group. They will send it with me to Australia. On our camp, the girls in their teams, will make a DVD to send back to the girls about the camp they are living – it will be a lot of fun. It will help the girls see that the Catholic world of young people is much bigger than their own surrounding and friends. That there are kids all around the world who love Christ and the Church.
4. The Night activities: are lots of fun for the kids. The activities always have a formative side to it, be it team work, respecting each other talents and drawing on each other’s talents. They are interactive, joyful and very active……especially the boys.
5. Spiritual Talks: are talks that are based around Saints lives and their virtues. A fun and dynamic activities always accompanies the talk as it makes a deeper impression. One of these talks will be focusing on the beauty of Confession and the kids will have an opportunity to go to Confession if they would like to. Another activity will be a to make a rosary out of balloons filled with helium, write their intentions to Mary on the balloons and then send it off into the sky. We are praying the Rosary while we do this. What a statement to those on the beaches of Anglesea!
6. Sacramental life: There will be daily Mass and Exposition with Benediction focusing on Christ as our best friend. On our last night the girls will be having doing a Eucharistic Procession around the camp site followed by all night Eucharistic Adoration. Of course the girls will not be staying up all night but they will be allocated, if they want to participate, a 30min or 15min slot. We will also be doing Morning and Night Prayers as well as a decade of the Rosary each day.
With God’s grace the objective of the camps is that the kids have a experience of Jesus Christ and to love our Catholic Faith so much that it becomes their own. They go away believing, loving, knowing and wanting Him more. I have seen this happen and God really works in these beautiful young souls.
Note: The due date for the camps on the flyers are the 29th of November but as of a few days ago there were still places available on the girls’ camp (and probably the boys’ camp too). Mums are welcome to come and help out at the girls’ camp and Dads at the boys’ camp at a slightly reduced cost for which you will need to contact the organizers.